Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Breakfast at Caffe Degl'Innocente


Caffe Degl'Innocente
I mentioned in an earlier post that we found out near the end of our stay that the hotel we were staying in (Albergo Merlini) offered breakfast as well, but we had discovered the corner coffee shop by then,
where we had the first of many Florentine gelato (or gelati might be plural?)

Our first breakfast...barb had an "egg" pastry... mine had custard too.
Caffe Degl'Innocente is on the corner of via Faenza and via Nazionale, where 2 euro and 20 cents bought the most divine cappucino I've ever had, and an amazing pastry as well. Cappucino in Italy comes in one size...cappucino-sized.



Kind of a leafy heart
 Our guide in the second half of our trip, Mikayla, told us how when she visited the U.S. she thought it was really strange that cappucino came in more than one size...."Extra large cappucino??? It didn't make any sense..." I say the Italian-sized cappucino is the perfect amount of cappucino, and the foam... oh,it was like a creamy,
frothy dream of coffee....
This foam is so thick it would not slide off the spoon when
held up vertically....mmmmm....
perfectly drawn into the espresso. I'm not a barista, so I have no idea what term you would use for making cappucino foam, but they were artists with their own canvas, fashioning hearts and leaves into the foam with the drip, on their cadillac espresso makers....fast and furious, and with a friendly smile.

My pear-shaped pear pastry....my favourite, on
our second morning...
We also found that we didn't need sugar in the cappucino, it was just so flavourful and rich on its own....if you order espresso (which is what you get if you order coffee after noon), it is also rich but stronger so I did want sugar, but they don't even serve it with cream.

For our last breaksfast, we stood at the bar,
like we were locals or something :)
If you want creamy coffee you order a latte, or Caffe American, which neither of us ever did. And cappucino is a morning beverage....When in Rome, do as the Romans do, I say!!! 

The pastries here were light, not overly sweet (perfect for me), and took us about thirty seconds to devour. I tried to prolong the experience, but in this case it was all about instant gratification. I still want more!!!!



My whole love of travelling has to do with immersing yourself in the culture (as much as possible, which is easy to do in Europe anyway)!!!! I know I'm just a tourist, but I love all of the idiosyncracies of travel, even the purgatory of  waiting at train station platforms, airport waiting rooms, etc. etc., at least you are anticipating the heaven of your next destination, even when it is going home, you are usually ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment